Title: Advanced VVVV / Projection / Kinect
Description: Take VVVV to the next level in this advanced course
Start Date: 20-03-2014
End Date: 21-03-2014
Start Time: 10:00
End Time: 17:30
Booking: Grab a spot here, or drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you’ve made a start with VVVV, you won’t want your creativity limited by practical obstacles, so come and take a look at the methods and common patterns of the language. This course will extend your practical knowledge of VVVV, introducing solutions to common scenarios.
Who is this course for?
- Creative technologists
- Interactive architects
- Live visualists
Preferably, you will have taken our ‘Beginning VVVV’ course to get yourself started with the toolkit, as this course will take your knowledge further to improve on skills acquired in the introductory course.
What’s possible with projection mapping?
Just take a look at this:
We’ll look in-depth at:
- Standard patterns for dealing with data in VVVV
- Loading / Saving data to disk
- Multi-dimensional spreads for multi-dimensional data
Intermediate 3D graphics:
- Stacking layers into groups
- Advanced transform types
- Loading geometry and cameras from 3rd party apps
- Material properties
VVVV as a development environment:
- Dealing with plugins and addonpacks
- Distributing patches
- Sharing code online
- Introducing the VVVV SDK (what is it, and when you would want to use it)
- Introduction to DirectX 11 Texture FX chains
Projector and Camera calibration with OpenCV (computer vision):
- Calibrating things that have lenses on them (cameras, projectors)
Exploring the boundary between the physical and digital using Structured Light:
- 3D scanning in VVVV
- Digital Emulsion techniques
Software and costs
All software is freely available for learning/non-commercial purposes, and copies will be distributed with the course materials on the day. We will be using the latest version of VVVV at the time of the workshops (which can be downloaded from http://www.vvvv.org/downloads)
Equipment you’ll need
You will need to bring a PC Computer (ideally a laptop) with:
- Windows XP/Vista/7 installed
- Latest Windows Service Packs / latest updates to DirectX 9/10/11
- A GPU within the top 200 of this list (or better/equivalent) http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html (e.g. Geforce 8600 or better, ATI Radeon HD 5450 or better). If your GPU isn’t up here, then please get in touch on email@example.com, and I’ll let you know if your graphics chipset is really good enough to get cracking.
- WIFI or wired ethernet
- A VGA or DVI port (or adapters to get to one of these, ideally VGA)
- A mouse with at least 2 buttons (left and right mouse buttons)
Intel Apple Macs are fine, but you must use Bootcamp. You CANNOT use virtualisation e.g. Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox.
Equipment you might want to bring
- USB gamepad
- MIDI controller
- Second monitor (as long as its small and light)
We can’t promise we’ll have time to go through working with all or any of the things that you bring. But we’ll do our best!
Suggested preparatory work
Download and install the latest version of vvvv from http://vvvv.org/downloads
Run ‘crack.exe’ included in the vvvv download, and install all the bits that it asks for (e.g. .NET, DirectX runtime, etc)
Brief notes on installing are available at http://vvvv.org/documentation/installation
£300 for the full two days. Included in the price is a hot lunch, with vegetarian options (please notify us in advance if you are vegetarian or if you have other dietary requirements). Additionally, you will receive an electronic copy of the teaching materials, software, and patches for the course on a USB stick.
Your Tutor: Elliot Woods
Elliot is half of Koreo-Brittanic interaction design studio Kimchi and Chips, as seen in Wired, Endgadget and the BBC. He’s a leader in the international projection mapping scene, creating the tools and techniques used from experimental art projects to multi-million dollar marketing campaigns. Elliot has taught professionals, students, children and led the professional projection mapping course at VVVV’s own digital arts forum.
You can book a place on EventBrite
Alternatively, if you would like to be invoiced, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org