About the course
Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is the technology that applies styling and layout to web pages. It’s simple enough to learn in a couple of hours, but with enough depth for a lifetime of satisfying, creative nerding out. If you want to publish anything at all online, it’s an essential skill.
You’ll learn all the essential CSS theory — including selectors, colours, the box model, applying background images — and how to put it into practice. You’ll understand styling different types of content and be able to lay out pages using floats and positioning.
You’ll also get a taste of some advanced features such as drop shadows, rounded corners and web fonts.
You will receive an electronic copy of the teaching materials, as well as free web hosting courtesy of MadLab to test and refine your site. Lunch and refreshments are provided.
Who is the course for?
The course is aimed mainly at novice web designers and developers but it is also suitable for those with a little more experience who want to update their skills and learn modern best practice.
After completing the class, you will have learned:
- The fundamentals of how CSS works and its possibilities
- A solid array of techniques you can use to style and lay out content
A laptop (Mac, Windows or Linux) with:
- A decent text editor. We recommend:
- Windows: Notepad++ (free), EditPad Lite (free)
- Mac: Text Wrangler (free), Sublime Text (free), Coda (££)
- Linux: Bluefish, KompoZer (all free, of course)
- A simple graphics package. We recommend:
- Windows: IrfanView (free), GIMP (free), Photoshop (£££)
- Mac: GIMP (free), Pixelmator(£), Photoshop (£££)
- Linux: GIMP (free), ImageMagick (free)
- An up to date web browser. We recommend Firefox, Opera or Chrome, but Internet Explorer and Safari are fine.
- An FTP program (to upload your files up to the web). We recommend:
- Windows: Filezilla (free)
- Mac: Cyberduck (free)
- Linux: Filezilla (free)
Your tutor: Chris Mills
Chris used to work for Opera and W3C and currently enjoys playing heavy metal drums and drinking good beer. He lives near Manchester, UK, with his good lady and three beautiful children.