Title: Advanced WordPress
Description: This advanced course takes your WordPress skills to the next level.
Date: 12 & 13-03-2015
From 10:00 to 16:30
If WordPress is your business, either as a developer, power-user or marketing pro, this is the course for you. Over two days Mike will teach you advanced techniques that will give you a competitive edge. You’ll learn insider tips and tricks for managing sites, both for yourself and your clients. From customising your admin screens to e-commerce via event management, building membership sites, utilising the power of child themes, and picking the perfect production and marketing tools. After completing the course, you’ll be at the cutting edge of WordPress best practice.
Who will benefit from this course?
This course is aimed at those who’ve already got to grips with the WordPress CMS. You’ll need to have some programming know-how, but in-depth expertise isn’t essential.
This advanced course is ideal for those who are already comfortable building WordPress sites but are looking to work in the field professionally – perhaps wanting to make a living building WordPress sites or creating more sophisticated WordPress sites. It will help those wanting to take control of your current WordPress site and fully understand its capabilities. Marketing and promotional companies looking to take their clients’ sites further will also benefit, as well as those who want to bring their website creation and maintenance in-house.
What you need to be familiar with.
You don’t need any programming experience, however a little CSS knowledge is useful. You will also need to know how to use a text editor and a FTP programme.
- Overview of theme: Theme frameworks, child themes, and vertical themes
- Advanced theming: Anatomy of a child theme
- Exercise: Let’s create a child theme
- Functions.php: Media sizes and some useful snippets of PHP code
- Exercise: Beefing up Twenty Eleven
- E-commerce in depth: Eshop and WooCommerce
- Event Management: Events, calendars and tickets
- Advanced content plugins: Types and views
- Multiple users in depth: Adding workflow and responsibilities
- Multi-site and BuddyPress: Building a community or social network
- Third-party authentication: Logging-in with Facebook and Twitter
- Building a membership site: Overview and some useful plugins
- Production tools: Branding the admin screens
- Marketing tools: Stats, mailing lists, and more
- Enhancing the admin for your clients: Some useful tools and plugins
- Free for all, Q&A, show & tell
Equipment you’ll need
- Please bring a laptop computer with Windows, Linux or Mac OS installed. You will need a modern web browser, an FTP client and a text editor (see below). Our preference is the latest version of Firefox or Google Chrome, but the latest Internet Explorer or Opera will be fine too.
- You will need a text editor. We suggest:
- You will need a FTP program. We suggest – FileZilla
- You may want to bring some sample images that you will be able to upload to your website as the course progresses
- If you feel more comfortable using an external mouse, please bring one with you
The course costs £400 (inclusive of VAT).
- two days tuition
- lunch and refreshments on both days
- an electronic copy of the teaching materials
- one month’s free hosting courtesy of MadLab to test and refine your site
About the course tutor
Mike is the co-founder of WordPress. He’s also the founder and CEO of WordPress consultancy zed1.com, has a portfolio including prominent government sites, is a published author, technical editor and member of the Usability Professionals Association… but let’s face it, we had you at ‘co-founder of WordPress’.
Alternatively, if you would like to be invoiced, please contact email@example.com
At MadLab, we completely understand that stuff can crop up that’s beyond your control. So, if you cancel up to two weeks before one of our courses, we will give you a full refund (minus Eventbrite charges).
Under a fortnight: we will do our best to resell your ticket in order to give you a full refund. If we are unable to do so, we will only able to offer a refund of 50% of the ticket price.