Title: Manchester Free Software
Description: Manchester Free Software was formed in response to the growing need for a group based in the Manchester area that focuses on Free Software and GNU/Linux primarily, but also on issues such as Digital Restrictions Management and other issues which infringe on the freedoms of computer users.
Start Time: 19:00
End Time: 20:30
Talk: How to build an ISP using Free Software
Speaker: Thomas Mangin
This talk will be a tour de force of how to build an ISP using Free Software. The talk will not only include using Free Software to provide both internal infrastructure and Internet services, but also the legal requirements. The talk will include views on Open Standards and Neutrality.
The talk will cover:
- Legal Structure of an ISP.
- Joining the Internet community.
- Routing packets using Free Software
- Internet Services using Free Software including: o DNS, mail, web, VoIP, virtualisation, authentication and IM.
- Providing Dialup and ADSL.
- Internal infrastructure using Free Software including: o Monitoring, reports, customer information.
- Understanding the ISP Market.
- Open Standards and Neutrality
- And more!
Thomas Mangin is a Non-Executive Director at LINX (London Internet Exchange) and Technical Director at Exa Networks (an award winning ISP).
Further details at <http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Manchester/2011-01-18>
Tags: Manchester Free Software