An enormous thank you to Steve Adshead (Regional Sales Manager) and the team at RS Components for their super-generous £££ sponsorship! If you came down to the most recent Make Stuff and had your face scanned using our shiny new 3D scanner, you (and we) have them to thank for that 🙂 This is just the tip of the iceberg though, and we’re looking forward to diving into the RS catalogue in the coming weeks as we ready ourselves for the Autumn “maker season”. Any ideas for exciting kit or activities you’d like to see from MadLab in the future? Let us know!
Another big thank you goes to our anonymous donor who has been kind enough (and awesome enough) to donate money to MadLab for us to continue our work and improve our space. Wherever you are, we are eternally grateful.
Many thanks too to Manchester React for putting in an amazing donation in the form of a brand new projector, as well as Mad Graphic Novel, Manchester Traders Club, Manchester Amnesty Group and Manchester Speculative Fiction for their regular donations. You guys are the best!
We’re over the moon with all the responses we’ve had so far, and if you/your organisation would like to get involved – please read our post below to find out more about what we do and how you can help us do it.
MadLab needs YOU! Here’s how you can help
We’re looking at raising funds through donations to take what we do to the next level. Read on to find out how you can make a difference.
Since 2009, we’ve hosted hundreds of brilliant Community Groups, which are all free to attend and run by volunteers who are experts in their field, motivated to share their knowledge and general awesomeness. MadLab provides the free space to learn, experiment, and explore – plus organisational support, and kit. We regularly collaborate with groups on regional/national projects – like the time Arduino Manchester worked with the University of Leeds, the BBC, and Science Museum Group – http://pararchive.com/groups/arduino-manchester/.
Last year we hosted over 15,000 people in our Northern Quarter HQ, and over 42,000 in Greater Manchester. Our annual survey showed that our users shared knowledge and skills learnt at MadLab with others (61% of responders), expanded their social networks (60%), went on to learn more informally (37%), got a new job (12% of responders), took up further education (11%), or received a work promotion (4%). Just under half our audience is female (46% – YAY!), and programmes like Make Stuff – which reached nearly 10,000 people in the last 12 months – are often 50%+ BAME-attended.
What we need – and why we need it:
Manchester City Council has been supporting our community activities to the tune of £15,000 per year. But our true costs are higher than this. To date we’ve been subsidising the difference, but in a climate of stringent government cuts – especially to culture – we need to adopt a different approach in order to future-proof ourselves, whilst continuing to reach even more communities in need at the same time.
Here’s our basic running costs:
- Building: £33,000 per year
- Staff costs (related to communities work): £38,000 per year
- Running costs (refreshments, cleaning, etc.): £3,000 per year
- Digital Kit maintenance: £2,000 per year
That’s £76,000 of which 1/3 is dedicated to support Community Groups and their activities. So the aim is to raise £10,000+ a year through our community.
So how can you help?
If you’d like to help MadLab – AMAZING. >>>> Thank you! <<<<<
Here are some suggestions of what you can do:
- Donate* any amount, small or not so small, via our super easy donations page
- Set up a monthly direct debit*
- Sponsor a thing!* There’s all sorts of things – big and small – that we’d be grateful for help with. Perhaps you’d like to buy our annual supply of teabags, or loo roll?! Or maybe something esoteric or weird? Tell us what tickles your fancy and we’ll let you know the annual costs.
- Become a MadLab Community Volunteer* and help us staff our evening meetups
- Hire a full/part time desk at our fabulous Co-working Space or use our event spaces.
- Sponsor* or part-sponsor a Make Stuff and bring fun activities to your area
- Join the MadFabLab (from £30 per month) and start making cool stuff!
- Book one of our courses and learn new skills!
- Spread the word and some love on Twitter and Facebook
* Plaques/walls (or floors) of fame, eternal thanks, and permanent good-looks come with these options.
If you’d like to do any of these things (thank you!) drop us a line at email@example.com and we’ll be in touch right away.