MadLab and PLANT NOMA are thrilled to announce we’re joining forces!
The move will allow us to focus more on what we do best – delivering great digital experiences to everyone. We’ll:
- Focus more on projects that raise the skills and aspirations of Greater Manchester residents, such as Digital Skills for Women, Make Stuff, MadFabLab; plus our workshops and courses
- Work with more people than ever before – beating last year’s record of 40 000+ in person, and 3m online
- Advocate – on behalf of those underrepresented in tech
- Develop groundbreaking projects – like The Institute of Unknown Purpose – involving synthetic biology, AI, and more research and development work
- Create a space that works best for the community: bigger, better served, and more ambitious
We’re really lucky to have, in PLANT NOMA, an organisation that shares our values and aims for our communities, and the city as a whole. And we’re really excited for the future!
It would be remiss though, not to note a wider issue happening in Manchester, and the Northern Quarter in particular. Rocketing rents and insensitive redevelopment means smaller – often community driven – organisations are being forced out: Marc, Texture, New Art Spaces, The Wonder Inn, Majolica Works, Bakerie, H.Blyth & co, and more further afield Rogue. The list goes on, and will go on. We are talking to ACE, Andy Burnham, and the council about the need to protect and grow our diverse creative landscape in the city centre and will continue to bang the drum until this is addressed.
What does this mean for me?
I’m from a community group: We can accommodate all groups at PLANT NOMA, but may need to slightly tweak some days for a handful of groups as there’s a lot a stuff to pack in! We’ll be in touch with group organisers directly to discuss practicalities, and will ensure you have a smooth transition
I’m a co-worker (or interested in co-working): We will have *two* new vibrant co-working areas in PLANT NOMA: a cafe-style hotdesking area and a private room with fixed-desks. Come join us : )
I’m a FabLab member (or interested in joining): The FabLab has been relocated to PLANT NOMA. You can find out more here
I have a venue hire coming up at MadLab: Our Venue Hire team is relocating to PLANT NOMA, where we have two great (accessible) rooms available. We’ll be in touch with all co-ordinators individually about their events and will assist with any changes you may wish to make
In addition, PLANT NOMA have great facilities, meaning you’ll also have access to:
- Exhibition space
- A large wood workshop
- A pottery-making area, as well as a spot to throw a pot whenever you like
- Sewing machines
- A repair station
- An opportunity to sell items you’ve produced in PLANT NOMA’s shop (launching soon)
- And – the slowest coffee in Manchester
We plan on holding a closing event at MadLab, and having an opening celebration at PLANT NOMA. We’ll be announcing dates soon. If you’d like to help with the move, we’d be very grateful, and will be putting on beers/soft drinks and food for helpers. Drop us a line if you’d like to help! In the meantime, do feel free to pop in for a nosey at PLANT NOMA. They’re currently open Tuesday to Saturday 9am-6pm – these hours will be extended once we move.
We’ve come a long way together, and we want to thank every one of you for your support.
Rachael Turner (CEO), Dave Carter, Gemma Cameron, and Asa Calow (Directors) – and the PLANT NOMA team: Jess Higham, Ben Young, and Joe Hartley